Tuesday, 21 September 2010

Sutton United 2 Harrow Borough 1 - Jolly and Woods-Garness hit a couple of crackers

Phew, just made it home from Gander Green Lane having witnessed Sutton United edge home against Harrow Borough 2-1.
It all started so well. I mentioned in my last post that I’d like to see more from Mr Jolly Esquire and the BWG and, by crikey, did I get it. With just 20 seconds gone, Jolly hit a belter from 16 yards, the ball flew into the top corner of the net. Then, just ten minutes later, Bradley Woods-Garness hit a shot from 35 yards that whistled past the Harrow goalkeeper and was only stopped in its tracks by the net. What a fantastic start.
There would have been quite a few people in the crowd of 478 who would have missed Jolly’s opener, but I’m glad to say that I was one of the lucky ones who saw it.
However, Sutton failed to kill their opponents off and were almost made to pay for it. Harrow hit back with a great goal of their own just before half-time, much to the delight of their small band of travelling fans.
The second half was a bit of a tense affair with Harrow hitting a post, and coming perilously close to adding a second late on. Sutton also had a further goal ruled out by the referee, who it has to be said, had a pretty dire evening in the middle and was the target of much abuse from both sets of supporters. All this and I haven’t even mentioned that Harrow had two players sent-off.
It was my first visit to the Lane this season, and I have to say I came away thinking we were a bit on the lucky side. I though Harrow looked lively when going forward and perhaps deserved a point from this one. Still, you won’t find me complaining. If we win while playing below par, then that’s a good sign.
Sutton have now won six games out of seven, a record all the other clubs in our division will look at with envy, but Lowestoft are waiting in the wings, so it’s an absolute must that we keep the momentum going.
The Ryman Premier League table has an intriguing look to it already with several clubs, hot on our heels. See it for yourself www.suttonunited.net/firstteam_table.php
Well, I’m not going to worry about that now. I will replay those two fantastic goals in my head until I reach the Land of Nod. I’m sure I will sleep well tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment