Sunday, 3 October 2010

Elvis is alive and well...and playing for Sutton United

Yes, it is true. Elvis was seen wearing the amber and brown of Sutton United yesterday as the boys brushed Margate aside to remain top of the league.

Paul Doswell’s revolving door continues to see players come and go at Gander Green Lane so fast that I have just about enough time to type their name before they’ve moved on and been replaced. It’s easy to see why Dos does it, with the squad already beset by injury doubts over certain key players it’s vital he keeps the momentum going, which is precisely what happened yesterday.
New recruits Darren Ebsworth and Elvis Hammond fitted nicely into the side to help us gain another victory, this time in front of a fantastic Community Fun Day (CFD) crowd of 1,253. That's an increase almost 800 fans on the last home game, when the Us played Harrow Borough.
I liked one of the comments on the Fans’ Forum which said that a third of those in attendance were either kicking a ball around themselves or playing tag. That may have been the case, but some of those youngsters who went along to Gander Green Lane yesterday afternoon just might have caught the bug for local football and, with any luck, will return again soon.
Those who were actually watching the action would have witnessed Hammond hitting the target on his debut to open the scoring. Although Margate equalised, Tom Davis netted the winner with eleven minutes left to send the kids and their folks back home with a smile on their faces, even if the rain had started to lash down.
There’s no doubt about it, this week is going to be a stern test of our Ryman Premier League title credentials. Kingsmeadow has never been a happy hunting ground for Sutton, so I’d be happy with a point from the clash with Kingstonian tomorrow night.
We certainly have a score to settle with the Ks after they dashed our promotion dream in the play-offs last season. I remember only too well leaving that match with ten minutes still remaining and heading off to the Robin Hood where I drowned my sorrows with a beer or two.
Incidentally, after Sutton played at Kingsmeadow back in April I went for a post-match beer with some pals in one of the worst pubs I have ever been in, the Prince of Wales in New Malden.
Let me see, I think it had something to do with the dodgy dealings which took place through the window of the gents toilet which meant I couldn’t drink my pint of tepid ale fast enough. Come to think of it, it may have been the huge rip in the green baize of the pool table, or even the goggle-eyed punters with skin like leather who were transfixed by the horse racing on the television which made me want to down my drink and get the hell out of there. Needless to say, I shall be drinking elsewhere tomorrow evening.   
Finally, back to footballing matters. A quick look at Elvis Hammond’s Wikipedia page tells me that he has played for the likes of Fulham, Leicester City, Cheltenham Town and Dutch Eredivisie side RBC Roosendaal. Apparently, tomorrow is his 30th birthday, so here’s hoping he’s still in the mood to celebrate having left the Ks All Shook Up.

No comments:

Post a Comment