Saturday, 30 October 2010

Evesham United, Hednesford 9 Weymouth 0, Delia Smith and Amber Rambler on Twitter

Well, here it is. Game day. Yes, I know it's still the wee small hours but the day of reckoning has arrived.

Have I tempted fate with my post about Sutton United Halloween horrors, or will the boys in amber and brown exorcise the demons of bygone years with a victory at Evesham United in the FA Trophy Second Qualifying Round? Lets hope it's the latter.

I don't really know much about Evesham, I must admit, apart from the fact they share Worcester City's ground. But, I do know from bitter experience that St George's Lane holds some disturbing memories for the Us... however, there is a shaft of light for us optimistic souls to cling to.

The last time we played there was against Worcester City, and yes, we may have conceeded a last minute equaliser...but this is Evesham. Nice, friendly Evesham. Surely they couldn't do the dirty on us, could they?

They lost 1-0 at Banbury in their last outing...but, hold on....what's this? An amazing result from last weekend which seemed to escape my notice... Hednesford 9 Weymouth 0. Crikey. If it's anything like that time the Terras lost 9-0 at home to Rushden and Diamonds then I reckon they must have put out their under 11s. Want to know what in the blue blazes I'm on about? Click here.

Anyhow, while I'm writing this, many a Sutton fan will be catching some shut-eye before waking up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and heading off in good time to Worcester for the big match. A thread on the fans' forum entitled Beer in Worcester certainly caught my eye. Beer and football has to be a winning combination.

A trip to Worcester represents a great opportunity to sample some proper pubs and lubricate those vocal cords in time for the big game. All the talk on this particular thread may be about a Wetherspoons pub called the Postal Order, but if it's anything like my trip to the Moon on the Hill in Sutton earlier in the week then that boozer will be chavtastic.Wetherspoons has its place, I'll admit, especially if it's so close to the railway station.

This leads me on to something I was thinking about the other day. So, what if the boot was on the other foot, and let's say you are an Evesham fan coming to Sutton for the first time. Where would you go for a pre-match beer?

- The Old Bank. Close to Sutton station, just like the Postal Order might be in Worcester, except not a Wetherspoons pub, thankfully.
- The Sydney Arms. Close to our beloved Gander Green Lane home, but never really a favourite with Sutton fans over the years.
- The Plough. Seems to have gone downhill over time, but a stone's throw from West Sutton station
- The Club Bar. If you ask me, seems to be the sensible choice at the moment.

I've picked the above four pubs because of their proximity to transport and the ground.
However, you lot are well versed in such matters, so, in true Delia Smith style...where are you? Let's be 'avin you! What I'm really trying to say is, where do you guys think the best/worst place is to go for pre or post-match drinks?

Amber Rambler on Twitter!
Anyway, before I go to the Land of Nod, I should point you in the direction of the Amber Rambler Twitter page. Yep, I've got no idea how Twitter works, but I'm giving it a go. So, please drop by here.

Night, night.

No comments:

Post a Comment