Friday, 22 October 2010

FC København, Razak Pimpong, Paul McKinnon in Sweden and Jason Donovan

FC Barcelona 2 FC Copenhagen 0 is not normally a result you would associate with Sutton United FC and nor should you associate it with them on this occasion.
I am allowing myself to digress from events at Gander Green Lane as I take myself on a trip down memory lane today, although I will get onto to matters regarding Paul Doswell’s boys later.
FC Copenhagen, or as I should say to those of you from Denmark FC København, is one of those teams I look out for every once in a while. Ever since I made my first visit to that wonderful city in 2008 and visited their stadium, known as Parken, I tend to look out for their results, especially in European competition.
And so it was, as I glanced down the list of results from Wednesday night, that I noticed that Byens Hold – as sometimes Copenhagen are referred, had been undone by two goals from none other than Argentine hot-shot Lionel Messi.
Crikey, fancy rubbing shoulders with Lionel Messi, of all people. It’s a far cry from when I turned up, somewhat hungover, at Parken with a dear old pal of mine on a Saturday afternoon a couple of years ago. The visitors for a bread and butter game in the SAS Ligaen were Viborg FF who were followed by a very small band of travelling supporters. Copenhagen were overwhelming favourites that day and triumphed 3-1 in front of 17,000.

Three and easy: Wonderful, wonderful, FC Copenhagen make it 3-1 in the last minute against Viborg FF in 2008

While doing a small bit of research for this post, I notice that the current Viborg FF squad includes the wonderfully named Razak Pimpong.
I took the opportunity while in Copenhagen to get the train across the Oresund Bridge to sample the delights of Malmo, Paul McKinnon’s old stomping ground. Macca played for Himmelsblått – Sky Blues – in the early 1980s before spells with Trelleborgs FF, Tegs SK and Orebro SK.
 A quick search on Google tells me that McKinnon netted seven goals in 17 games for Malmo and played in the European Cup Winners Cup. My search also points me in the direction of this article which shows a picture of McKinnon in action for Tegs. Crikey, it looks flippin’ cold. Click here
It seems Macca had a debut to remember for the Swedish side and went on to score 16 goals in 18 matches. That guy was lethal.
If you're interested in knowing more about football in the Nordic region then check this site out Nordic Football
Anyway, sadly I must leave Scandinavia behind for now and briefly concentrate on Ryman Premier League (RPL) matters. Before I move on, if you want to email me then give this a shot amberramblerblog@gmail.com
Cray Wanderers are the visitors to Gander Green Lane tomorrow as the Us return to league duty. Having suffered a defeat and then earned a draw from our last two RPL matches it’s important we get back to winning ways as soon as possible. It won’t be easy, the squad has been tinkered with since our game at Lowestoft with captain Jason Goodliffe leaving the club.
It’s a big week for Paul Doswell, who sees his side take on Tonbridge Angels and Evesham United as well as the league’s second top scorers, Cray.  My only concern is that, despite boasting Andy Forbes, Richard Jolly, Bradley Woods-Garness and Fola Orilinoshe in our attack, we have yet to really play to our full potential and hit the goal trail, good and proper.  Still, if we win 1-0 tomorrow, I shan’t complain.
Finally, before I go, I must mention this. I’ve noticed a few old has-beens from the world of music are partaking in a bit of straw clutching. While I have been jotting down these musings an advert has come on the television for a new album being released by Ali Campbell, the lead singer of UB40. The album consists of cover versions which include He Ain’t Heavy He’s My Brother, You Really Got Me and Hard Day’s Night.
I have noticed too, that Jason Donovan and Phil Collins have both brought out similar albums. Donovan gives us his woeful take on 80s classic such as Don’t Leave Me This Way and Only You, while Collins offers us rehashed versions of Jimmy Mack and Pappa Was A Rolling Stone.
Crikey, I’d rather watch a Carshalton Athletic youth team match on a cold Tuesday night in January rather than listen to a second of any of that nonsense.
What is it with these washed-up performers who feel the need to unleash this drivel? Just like former Sutton striker Ollie Morah, they are yesterday’s men.  Mind you, the Great British Public are a strange old bunch. If they’ll sit and watch endless screenings of X Factor every weekend, then they’re bound to buy into this...it’s sad, but true.

No comments:

Post a Comment