Sunday, 10 October 2010

Horsham YMCA 0 Leatherhead 11

Yes, I know...Amber Rambler is a Sutton United blog. However, in the interests of fairness I feel I must begin with Leatherhead’s result today, from Ryman League South.
It’s not every day you win 11-0 away from home, so, having mentioned Sutton’s 11-1 victory over the Tanners in 1982 just a few weeks ago, I feel duty bound to congratulate them on their fine victory at Horsham YMCA yesterday. And they had NINE different scorers too. I have a soft spot for Leatherhead, and hope they get promoted at the end of the season.
Ok, I’ve got that out of the way...so, now on to matters amber and brown...
Well, it make not have been a classic away day, but a 0-0 draw at league leaders Lowestoft Town represents a good result, especially as Craig Dundas was given a red card midway through the second half. Not only that, but Paul Doswell was sent to the stands too, just for good measure.
With both teams flying so high, it was always going to be a fiery encounter. But, there’s plenty of mileage left in this season’s campaign, so the Us should take heart from gaining a point.
I was envious of many of the Sutton United fans heading up to the big game who cracked open the beers as early as 9am. There’s no harm in lubricating those vocal chords for an important game like this at such an early hour. I only wished I could have joined them.
Instead, I was following the Twitter version of Sky Sports’ Super Saturday. Let’s face it, with Premiership and Championship matches being postponed due to international commitments, there was no bigger game in all of the United Kingdom than Lowestoft Town v Sutton United today. Ok, so Montrose against Stranraer would have pushed us pretty close, and despite the thrilling 3-3 draw from that game, it couldn’t dislodge our 0-0 from being the day’s talking point.
We must respect what the Suffolk side have achieved in the last few seasons. And there’s no doubting it, they’re riding on the crest of a wave at the moment. Good luck to them, I say. Lowestoft strike me as a good family club and I am sure they’re going to be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.
I get the feeling, judging from the obvious  love-in developing on both side’s forums, that the Sutton fans really enjoyed their good old fashion away day today and that Lowestoft were great hosts. The crowd of 1,265 was a season’s best so far, eclipsing our previous best crowd (against Margate) by 12.
Anyway, I know what you’re thinking: ‘where the hell are Amber Rambler’s latest entries into the Sutton United Hall of Fame’. Well, I’ll tell you this for nothing, it’s way past my bed time, but I will hit you with a Hall of Famer triple-whammy later on today...

Feel free to email me amberramblerblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment