Thursday, 7 October 2010

Super Saturday - Lowestoft Town v Sutton United

I feel a bit better now. I’ve had a few days to let the result sink in and now I’m over it. I have taken heart from our fine display on Monday night and, in true Worzel Gummidge style, I have my optimistic head on today.
Come to think of it, I always seem to have my optimistic head on when the weekend comes around... and what a weekend we’ve got in store. It’s Lowestoft next for Sutton United. If Sky Sports were to cover the match they would bill it as Super Saturday - it doesn't get much bigger than this is the realms of Ryman League football.
I mentioned in previous posts about the allure of away days, and this Saturday offers up a chance for Sutton supporters to eat, drink and be merry on the coach or train up to Suffolk.
Oh yes, the memories come flooding back: Drinking cider on the way to Wycombe for the FA Trophy semi-final in 1994, six post-match pints in the Star and Garter in Stafford in 1990 and beer before and after the Aylesbury title clash in 1999. These are just a few of some great away days following the boys in amber and brown over the years. Don’t worry, the memory banks are jam-packed full of this kind of unimportant nonsense, so expect plenty more where they came from...
There’s no doubting that the Sutton supporters will be in fine voice come three o’clock on Saturday, I hope for those making the trip that this will rank up there in day out to remember.
Sadly, I can’t make the game so I will, once again, have to make do with following Sutton’s progress via the wonder that is Twitter.
Judging by Richard Jolly’s frequent outbursts of frustrations on Monday he will be keen to fire the Us back to the top of the league as much as anyone. He certainly found himself in some good positions at Kingsmeadow but it was just a shame his team-mates lacked the vision to find him.
My guess is that Elvis Hammond woke up this morning a little bit worse for wear having celebrated his 30th birthday yesterday. Both he and Bradley Woods-Garness – AKA the BWG - looked lively and should be more than a handful for Lowestoft on Saturday.
Thankfully, Kingstonian have got bugger-all to do with our next match, so we should have a much better chance of getting a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment