Wednesday, 20 October 2010

Sutton United Hall of Fame - John Rains and Tony Rains

The big news at Gander Green Lane over the last few days up has to be the draw for the next round of the cup. Sadly for Sutton fans the FA Cup is a distant memory, so the fact we've been paired with Molesey in the Surrey Senior Cup bearly registers on most of our radars. I stopped caring about that tin-pot thing many years ago.

Oh, and we've been drawn away to Evesham United in the next round of the FA Trophy. Most beer-swilling Sutton fans will be licking their lips at the prospect of this trip to Worcester which, I have on good authoirty, has some pretty decent boozers.

Anyway, just a quick post today. As my dear old dad would say: 'I can't hang around, I've got a lot to do'. So, on to my next two entries to my own little Sutton United Hall of Fame...

John and Tony Rains

The Rains brothers are integral to Sutton's succes is the 1980s and 90s. I haven't got time to check the facts, but I think these guys played something like 1,400 matches for the Us. Not content with that, they took Sutton to the Isthmian League title back in 1999/2000.

John had the honour of leading Sutton out at Wembley back in 1981, while Tony famously scored the first goal on that never-to-be-forgotten day when Coventry were knocked out of the FA Cup. They were part of the golden era under Barrie Williams which saw Sutton win the Isthmian League title a couple of times in the mid-80s before the club took the plunge and joined the GM Vauxhall Conference.

Aside from Tony's goal, I will always remember John scoring a last minute equaliser in the FA Trophy at Scarborough and celebrated right in front the small band of travelling Sutton supporters. These days Tony can quite often be seen in his taxi, waiting outside Sutton Station. I've got no idea what John's up to now, anyone out there got a clue? There's no doubt about it, John and Tony Rains are Sutton United through and through.

Email me: amberramblerblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment