Wednesday, 10 November 2010

Sutton United blog: Mr Blobby, Jenny the Giraffe and Darren Ebsworth hits a screamer

It was the match-up alphabet lovers across the land had been eagerly anticipating. Just five weeks after the teams last met, last night the Us took on the Ks in the RPL at GGL.

Let me get straight down to the nitty-gritty. I was already fired-up for this derby game as Sutton were on a mission to beat Kingstonian before the turn of the millenium. However, I could feel my blood reach boiling point as I walked past the Plough last night at around twenty past seven.

I had to do a double-take because for a second I could have sworn I had seen Mr Blobby enjoying a booze and a fag outside the pub. But no, my eyes had been playing tricks with me. It was a rather large lager-swilling, pie-eating Kingstonian fan bursting out of his replica shirt who was telling his pal - who looked remarkably like Bob Carolgees - how much he had enjoyed seeing the Ks 'thrash' Sutton 4-1 at Gander Green Lane in the play-offs last season. What a berk. Give us some credit man, it was 4-2.

As I strolled off grinding my teeth and cursing Blob and Bob under my breath, I had my fingers crossed that Paul Doswell and the boys were as pumped up for the game as I was. Thankfully, as we now know, I need not have worried.

On what was a nippy night at Gander Green Lane I found myself being warmed up by a real belter of an opening goal from Darren Ebsworth, which almost took one of Rob Tolfrey's hands off, and a close-range effort from Craig Dundas who was in the right place at the right time to settle our nerves just before half-time. We could have had more but if you'd have said we'd win 2-0 at the start of the game then I'd have bitten your hand off, then your arm and then your head.

Aside from standing next to Dos when he's hollering ear-burning instructions to the players, I think the chap who dresses up as our club mascot Jenny the Giraffe has the right idea when it comes to beating the cold. When his mum told him to wrap up for the night, he really went for it.

Anyhow, it was a shame I didn't pass Blob and Bob on the way out of the ground, because if I had, I may have been tempted to remind them of the score with a simple hand gesture, the reverse of the one made famous by Winston Churchill in World War Two.

Although our Gander Green Lane home is in dire need of a makeover I think Sutton fans should forget about raising funds for the proposed stadium redevelopment and club together to pay for regular flights to and from the Gambia for Basiru Susso, the President of Sutton United Gambia. He's over here right now on a fact-finding mission and his prescence seems to have brought out the best in the boys. Could Bas be our new mascot? Jenny the Giraffe should be afraid, very afraid.

Email me: amberrambler@gmail.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/itsamberrambler

1 comment: