Tuesday, 21 December 2010

Sutton United blog: Michael Palin, Engelbert Humperdinck, The Hamsters and Cyril Regis

What does a football fan do when almost the entire schedule is wiped out on the Saturday before Christmas due to heavy snow? 

Well, if you’re anything like me then you’d have paced around for a bit with your hands in your pockets while periodically staring out the window and mulling over your options for the day.

      1)      Stay in
2)      Go Christmas shopping
3)      Head to the pub
Hmm, I can’t say I really ever entertained option two, I will leave that until about 4.45pm on Christmas Eve, so I stayed in for a bit then headed out to the pub.
I had my usual hopes that we might see the orange ball and players in gloves, tights, snoods and balaclavas dashed when our game with Hornchurch was postponed mid-morning. Bugger.

Even my hopes of seeing The Hamsters performing in gloves, tights, snoods and balaclavas at the Boom Boom Club on Sunday were dashed when that gig was cancelled too. Balls.
Any rate, while enjoying a cosy Saturday at home in my jim-jams, I swapped my usual pre-match pint for a mug of hot chocolate and, at 2.55pm, just as I should have been clapping the arrival of our amber and brown-clad heroes into the gladiatorial arena  known as the Borough Sports Ground,  I found myself tuning in to watch Sahara with Michael Palin on Freeview.
Jeez. Ok, too much information. Let’s ice skate over that...


National treasure: There's a time and a place for Michael Palin but it's not 3pm on a Saturday afternoon.

With the weather wreaking havoc on the football schedule there's a chance that our next game could be against our dear old pals from down the road, Carshalton Athletic. I have to admit I am licking my lips at the thought of taking on the Robins and not just for footballing reasons.
A thread on our forum entitled Beer Menu caught my attention and when it mentioned Twickenham Naked Ladies I thought for a minute that fans might be treated to a post-match demonstration of pole dancing on December 27.  However, I remembered, somewhat hazily it has to be said, giving Twickenham Naked Ladies a go at the Battersea Real Ale Festival earlier in the year.

The break for bad weather gives me a chance to cast my eye across the world of football and this alone begs one question. Were any of you aware that the FIFA World Club Cup has been taking place over the last couple of weeks?
No? What’s the matter with you?
So you won’t know then that Congolese side TP Mazembe Englebert made the final and lost to Inter Milan 3-0. Other sides to compete included PRK Hekari United from Papua New Guinea, Al-Wahda Sports Club of the United Arab Emirates and South Korean outfit Seongnam Chunma. Yep, the cream of world club football came to the party and you didn’t have a clue about it. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Gallant loser: Engelbert made it to the final of the FIFA World Club Cup in Abu Dhabi.

Follow me on TWITTER hereEMAIL me here.

Oh, before I go, I popped into Waterstones in Sutton earlier on today and noticed the biography of Cyril Regis on display. I couldn't help myself, I just had to take a look to see what, if anything, he had to say about Sutton United, after all, he was part of the Coventry line-up which lost to the Us back in 1989.

I'm sure the rest of the book is an excellent read, but if your interested in the bit about Sutton then head straight to pages 175-177 for what he describes as possibily the worst day on his career.

No comments:

Post a Comment