Thursday, 20 September 2012

Sutton United blog: Dreams of Blue Square South success

I had a dream the other day that my old headmistress, Mrs Cox, was playing as a roving left winger for Sutton United.

It proved to be an inspirational move by Paul Doswell to introduce 90-year-old Mrs Cox into the fray as she weaved her magic and left defenders trailing in her wake.
 
When Kezie Ibe latched onto a particularly impressive delivery to secure Sutton a 3-1 success over Borussia Dortmund in a crucial Blue Square South encounter the pair of them embraced and ran to the fans at the Gander Green Lane end of the ground.
 
The Sutton faithful were in raptures and surged towards the elated players, much like the Kop used to when Keegan and Toshack were at their deadliest.
 
Ibe ruffled Cox’s blue rinse and the old girl was in a dreamland of her own when Craig Dundas and the rest of the boys joined the bundle by the barriers.
 
I occasionally see Mrs Cox walking down Sutton High Street, fending off pick-pockets and chavs with her walking stick.
 
But in my dream she threw her stick aside and virtually turned into a modern day Micky Stephens - the Sutton wing maestro of the 1980s - to create chance after chance for the United attack.
 
It was Mrs Cox’s finest performance since she took to the stage to start a rendition of Auld Lang Syne just before we broke up for the school Christmas holidays back in 1981.
 
Her performance against the German giants made her name the first Doswell would write on his teamsheet every week and endeared her to the Sutton fans forevermore.
 
In fact, the club named the main stand at the Borough Sports Ground The Mrs Cox Stand after her legendary displays. It was a wonderful gesture from Bruce Elliot and the board.
 
I used to love watching Micky Stephens play for the Amber and Chocolates.
 
He was the artist of the team. He could run at defenders and send over enticing crosses for the likes of Paul McKinnon, Lenny Dennis and Micky Joyce to convert or fluff, depending on if their luck was in.
 
There's no doubt about it, we need someone inspirational like Stephens or Mrs Cox to ignite our season.
 
My dream came hot on the heels of Sutton’s latest display, a 1-1 with Havant and Waterlooville.
 
The first half was as woeful a my half-time pint at the Plough.
 
I know, I know, I was asking for trouble. The place isn’t so much a pub as a drop-in centre for West Sutton’s dopey, dazed or confused.
 
In my case, I was driven to such drastic measures as going to one of the borough's worst boozers by Simon Downer’s own goal just before the interval.
 
An old man who was stood near me on the terraces just turned around, looked at me and buried his head in his heads whilst shaking his head. It was enough to turn anyone to booze, so off I popped across the road for a pint of Stella.
 
Anyway, after 20 minutes I returned to the match full of gas and otimism for a better second half - it's amazing what a pint of Stella can do.
 
And so it proved. Sutton attacked in search of an equaliser which duly came from Dundas, despite three players' best efforts to miss from one yard out.
 
The lads had better luck missing the target for the remainder of the game as the Hawks, who showed very little in the way of attacking intent - most unhawk-like - held on for the draw.
 
Well, a point is a point, I guess, and beggars can’t be choosers. All we need to do is string six or seven wins together and all will be forgiven.
 
In my dreams...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment